Navigation

Sunday 31 October 2010

Mob!ler Mission 3 - Samsung App Review

This weeks task was to review an application on the Samsung App store on my Samsung Galaxy S.

The Samsung App store contains about 21 applications currently which includes things such as games, a Flixter movies app, a very good voice recognition app and more dictionaries than any man could ever need in a lifetime. It's very easy to navigate and everything on there is free. A nice feature is that once an app has been downloaded it is hidden from view in the app store, allowing you to get a better view of the range of dictionaries you've yet to download. 

I was going to review "Krazy Kart Racing" however I decided "Krazy" wasn't actually a word and without knowing its meaning, I didn't want to end up with a boring kart racing game and therefore a boring review. In order to find out what Krazy meant, I decided to review a dictionary.


The English Dictionary was my application of choice and upon it's installation I discovered that it was based upon the Collins COBUILD Advanced Dictionary. I wish I could tell you what the word "cobuild"meant but the dictionary struggled here offering only a description of a "hard silvery-white metal" which transpired to be Cobalt. 


Searching for words is very easy. Upon opening the application you are confronted with the screen in the picture to the left. A search bar at the top, your keyboard of choice at the bottom and the words you are searching for in-between the two. As you type, the list of words changes dynamically and soon enough the word you were searching for appears. This save time by not needing to input the entire word you're searching (for example in the middle of a heated game of Scrabble). Another neat feature is that you do not need to spell the word you entered correctly for it to appear on the list; the dictionary will bring up words closest to what you have entered.


I decided to test the dictionary by putting in a plethora of profanities, all of which it had answers for. It was during this that I discovered that my nickname needs changing and also a feature whereby if you are unsure of what a word means in a description, one long press on the word will bring up a menu whereby you can lookup the word. You are also given the option to copy the word to your clipboard.

It's not only single words that can be searched for, common phrases are also available. I decided to search for the word "Krazy" in order to find out if I was missing out on the Kart Racing. The first entry that came up was, albeit coincidentally I'm sure, "Ku Klux Klan". I'm glad I chose the dictionary.


To sum up, this dictionary actually works surprisingly well. The interface is very responsive and searching for words is very rapid indeed. It's not as good on long journeys as the Kart Racing game and will impress less people. As a reference tool it is second to none. 

No comments:

Post a Comment